Adopt-A-Highway is a Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) program designed to help keep the state's highway roadsides clean and attractive. Participants adopt both sides of a section of state highway roadside to clean up over a two-year period. A minimum two-mile stretch of roadway is recommended. More information can be found on www.michigan.gov/adoptahighway.
CAWM has joined the Adopt-A-Highway program for many years and adopted two-miles of highway 96, Exit 28, north/south. It has been one of the CAWM signature community services programs.
The pickup usually happens in spring, summer and fall. The dates are defined by MDOT and posted at in www.michigan.gov/adoptahighway.
The 2019 pickup dates:
- Spring April 13 - 21 (most of the Lower Peninsula) May 4 - 12 (Northern Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula)
- Summer July 13 -21 (statewide)
- Fall September 21 - 29 (statewide)
We need at least 8 volunteers (12 years or older) to cover each cleanup event. The typical schedule is below:
- Time: 9:30 am
- Meet up location: in the parking lot in front of Target. 3248 Alpine Ave NW Grand Rapids, MI 49544
- Service time: takes about 2 hours.
Lunch is offered right after the event.
- Watch this safety guideline video on YouTube (it is required!!!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjNi5MCTl9g&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1
- Read the safety rules brochure (also required!!!) http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDOT_Safety_Brochure_06_154017_7.pdf
- Some highlights excerpted from the safety rules: 5.1 Do: a. Watch the video! b. Carry a cell phone; c. Stay off the road at least 5 feet from the pavement edge; d. Be alert for snakes, insects, and poisonous plants (Wear long sleeved apparels); e. It is getting cooler, you might want to put on more clothes. 5.2 Not do: f. Pick up trash on the road surface, bridges, or overpasses; g. Remove hazardous substances or dead animals.